Tuesday 11 September 2007

Fossil finds




I made the most amazing discovery this morning. I had a ton of gravel delivered to my house earlier this year which was duly shoveled and brushed into place. This morning I was repositioning one of the graden lights when I saw a shell shaped item which I picked up. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a fossil! The Devil's Toenail (Gryphaea) is very common - nothing to get excited about there - but on further exploration I found that there are many, many of them throughout my gravel. It's amazing and rather exciting to know that my garden is now full of fossils for prehistory.
For some extra info on them take a look at

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some great finds! My DD & DH just started about 6months ago looking for fossils & gems. Enjoy your little treasures.
Norma A.

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Gillian- oh how cool! I guess it depends where you are if they are common. I'm a rockhead too, haven't been rock hunting for quite awhile though. Love all your work on your blog! Very inspirational! Thanks for visiting my blog! Marva