Saturday, 6 February 2016

Post-Christmas commission pics 3

Third in the line of Christmas commissions is Milly. She is a chocolate labrador belonging to my neighbours and whose daughters wanted to give them an original gift this year. Watercolour painting, 6x8 inches.

Monday, 1 February 2016

Button-a-Day for January

This year Gina-B Silkworks is taking part in a button-a-day project. A whole year of buttons. Can you imagine it? Talk about focused. Unfortunately my focus does not extend to seeing twelve months ahead but I did like the idea of making a button every day. So I have been doing the Button-a-Day for January. Below are the photos of each of the buttons - a veritable rainbow. I even had to order some new threads because I was so 'inspired'. Now I just have to find projects to add the buttons to.

Monday, 11 January 2016

Post-Christmas commission pics 2

Second of the after-Christmas commission pictures. I don't know the name of this lovely lady but she was most enjoyable to draw and I learned a few things about using coloured pencils along the way. Coloured pencil drawing, 8x11 inches.

Monday, 4 January 2016

Post-Christmas commission pics 1

The next few blog posts will be of some of the commissions I have done recently. It has been lovely to have so many people ask me to paint and draw for them and everyone loved the finished pieces.

Here is the first of the commission pictures. This is Trigger, a black labrador. Graphite drawing, 8x11 inches. Such a sweet guy.

Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Season's Greetings

I would just like to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who has supported me over the last year - be it reading this blog, looking at my Facebook or Etsy pages or buying from me. Every set of eyes, enquiry or sale is greatly appreciated.

This coming year will hopefully see some changes to my work. I am not quite sure what they will be but personal changes brought about by everything from health issues to governmental rule changes mean I have to restructure my working practices. It's scary but I am hoping for better things in 2016.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it, my best wishes to those who don't and a happy New Year to everyone.

Thursday, 17 December 2015

Buttons and threads

The last few weeks have been filled with Christmas commissions so not much crafting for me. I will be able to show most of the commissions after Christmas but in the meantime, here are some new buttons I have been making. I was practising using different colour combinations and even added a bit of sparkle here and there.

I used DMC threads for most of my buttons so I treated myself to an early Christmas present - DMC's thread colour card. It is brilliant. When shopping online for threads it can be qute difficult to find that ideal shade. Not now. I have samples of every perle and stranded cotton thread that DMC offer and can see exactly what colour it is. Hooray! It will make thread shopping much easier in future.

Sunday, 29 November 2015

Sewing circles

I came across a couple of interesting tutorials online this week. Both involved sewn circles used in festive ways. So when I managed to get a few hours to myself I gave them a shot. Neither took long - a couple of hours each at most - and they fulfilled my desperate need to sew after a heavy week of bead making.

The first was a folded fabric ornament by Crouton Crakerjacks on YouTube. Really simple but a lovely finished product. Mine is decorated with some ganutell holly leaves from a new kit by Gina-B Silkworks.

I also made a couple of smaller ones and added a snowflake button to one and some beads and a tassel to the other.

The next one was a little fabric angel by Selimut-ku. It is so very cute and would make nice little gifts for anyone who loves angels. As you can see, my guy has his head tilted to the side giving him a curious look.

One other little Christmassy sewing project is the new start for the top of the family Christmas tree. The current star was made by my sister when she was at primary school and it's looking a bit dog eared. In fact it was made of straw and only has thee points left out of the original twelve. So I made a paper pieced, quilted star in yellow with a yellow hand made button in the centre.

Saturday, 21 November 2015


I forgot to mention that I added a few new watercolour sketches to my Etsy store a wee while ago - from a cute little harvest mouse to a Christmas robin. Not to mention more badgers  - just because I love painting them.

Saturday, 14 November 2015

Even more buttons

Just a few pictures of buttons that I have made this week. I am up to my ears in art commissions for Christmas so there is not much time for other crafting. However I do have some new sets from Gina-B Silkworks to make up though so photos will be coming soon.

Friday, 6 November 2015

A resurgence of buttons

I've been on a button kick recently thanks to a new kit from Gina-B Silkwork. It's a snowflake button kit. The buttons are so charming and I got very excited when I opened the package with them inside. Couldn't contain myself, in fact. I dashed off and wrapped a few buttons as soon as I could. If you take a look at the link you can see some of my samples in the second photo (yes, I forgot to photograph my samples before sending them off again).

After that there was no stopping me. I love making buttons - thread wrapped buttons in particular - and after treating myself to some new size 8 perle threads I was wrapping up a storm.

This button in particular is one of my favourites. It is a 'rottweiler' button that I made in memory of Stanley. It is black and tan with a star in the middle to represent what a star he was to me.