Saturday 30 April 2016

Mr Thunderstomp

Meet Mr Thunderstomp. I bought the book Edward's Menagerie recently because I saw a giant version of the rhino pattern and fell in love with it. I have been crocheting for a few years now but have never felt like trying amigurumi before. But the rhino stole my heart as soon as I saw him.


I had some problems figuring out the pattern but thanks to a search online I found that it used a shorthand version of crochet instructions. Once I figured that out the crochet made up really quickly. Each leg took about 40 minutes to crochet. I used Cygnet Seriously Chunky yarn and it was lovely to use. It's acrylic but much cheaper than the yarn recommended in the book - and for such a large animal it would have cost a small fortune to make him in anything other than acrylic.

He is almost 16 inches (40cm) high when seated. I used seven 100g balls for the body and part of a 100g ball for the horn. So it's quite a lot of yarn. But I do love him. I already have plans to crochet another animal - a rottweiler. Although the book does not have any dog patterns they can be easily adapted for anyone with a bit of crochet experience. No doubt I will post the finished article once I get round to making it.

No comments: